Monday, 2 February 2009

A modest man

From time to time, someone is taken away from you, and you realise that the person you had previously vaguely regarded as constant was in fact ephemeral. It is only then that you begin to reflect on their contribution to the world.

The above is not meant as an emotional eulogy to the deceased, just a bald statement of fact. The man I have in mind is Bill Frindall, whose name is unrecognisable to waste swathes of the population. He was a cricket scorer who appeared on the BBC's Test Match Special. There are some charming moments from his career on the BBC website, which capture the essence of the understated and modest way in which he went about his work. I suppose it is this understatement and the element of geekiness which appeal to me; he was a man fascinated by his work and who combined it superbly into the programme. He may well prove to be irreplaceable.

On a more positive note, the rugby season starts this Friday. Leeds, Superleague Champions for the last two years and World Club Challenge winners, will start against Celtic Crusaders, the new team in the league from South Wales. I expect Leeds to show little mercy and give the Welsh a heavy beating. I do though think it is fantastic that clubs in expansion areas are in Superleague; the game will be strengthened as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment